Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Readings for 3/25

The RTNDA says that journalists' first obligation is to the PUBLIC. It's the first one - and people still forget it. I still see journalists pandering to private interest, and shying away from holding people accountable. I am glad to see that the RTNDA has not forgotten about the public, and also, the magic word: integrity. It's hard to define, but we know it's important. RTNDA says it involves "decency" and "identifying sources." In a way, it's a little sad that we have to put these things on paper before they are assumed by today's practitioners. In terms of video and audio editing, we must use special effects as little as possible. This is a tough one for me - today's audience loves special effects, transitions, and dramatic editing, etc. It is a difficult issue for current journalists - do we keep our audience satisfied or follow an ethical code? I think this has to be decided on a case-by-case basis, depending on the level of sensitivity in the situation. Of course, we need to be mindful of teases and avoid changing the meaning of any of our content.
I was sad to read a person disappointed with all of the major outlooks today, but I see the point in this article. I can't tell you how angry it makes me that women are committing suicide because they are unpleased with their bodies because they have seen a magazine with a Photo-shopped, skinny model. I feel the same way with journalism: DONT CHANGE REALITY. You can make things pretty, and landscapes dramatic, but we cannot alter anything that would change the meaning. Fred makes a great point: " It is the designer's solemn duty to carefully honor the thin line between selling a product and ethical representations of places, people and things." In St. Paul they said this "General Policy - Do NOT run photos of the governor, mayor, etc. signing proclamations, receiving plaques, looking at a check or piece of paper, etc. Avoid posed news photos of politicians immediately prior to elections." I don't understand. Why? Why can't we have mayors looking at a piece of paper or signing a proclamation? A signing is a NEWS event, and I find that completely valid. I think the recent issue of Obama allowing the photography of caskets. With this, personally, I have no problem. Honestly, death is a REAL issue. And I dont' think that we can deprive the public of a sense of the level of death that is going on. I mean, a single deathis unacceptable to show a body. But with something like war, we need to give people an accurate sense of thing and it is unethical to BLOCK photography of bodies and coffins.
Finally, I like that Poynter is seeking to evolve and is allowing the opportunity for feedback. I'm thinking about submitting a letter to him, myself.

No comments: