Thursday, September 6, 2007

08

I did a google search of Barack Obama, because I wanted to see what was going on in my favorite Presidential candidates life. Everything seemed pretty general - new health care reform, head to head with Hillary, and even support from Oprah. Then I came across this: Who's Related to Obama?
It's an article from the Sun-Times media group.A passage says, " One of Obamas ancestors once accused a fellow New England colonist of witchcraft and later stole from the governor's house. Another had two brothers killed by American Indians, who scalped one brother and kidnapped the other's daughter. Still another ancestor was said to have been slain by pirates."
This is one of the times when I look at modern journalism and ask, "are you kidding me?" It is beyond ridiculous that anyone would care to know about Obama's ancestors, and I find it curious that everything they decided to say about his family involved violence and insanity. I question what possible good is being served by putting this information out there. I looked for family trees of other candidates in vain. Is it because Obama spent time in a number of other countries and has a diverse background that people are suddenly fascinated? I barely find it to be newsworthy that Oprah will support Obama - it looks just like a publicity stunt, in my opinion.
I then read an article by Michael Roberts on opednews.com, and he wrote, "
I feel sorry for Barack Obama. He is the Tiger Woods of American politics – mixed up, afraid of his lineage and anxious for white acceptance and Black understanding" I am so frustrated to read this so-called editorial journalism. It is just plain unfair - we are making judgments and researching his history and family just because he is not the same breed of presidential candidate that we have seen in the past. Let's stop digging for past dirt and race issues, and focus on the actions that he will take. I'm not criticizing other politicians or politics in general. I'm criticizing journalists who act this way. It is our job to inform, not to speculate about pirates, or golfers. Come on.

No comments: