Monday, December 10, 2007

Reading for the Week

The Poynter article is an important one in the context of our last assignment. I can certainly understand the laziness of student journalists. I think that it easy for us to discredit ourselves - "I'm just a student," "no one will know," "I'm not a real journalist yet, so it doesn't matter" and the like. I also, however, can understand why the school wanted to set a strong precedent and to declare punishment of the person involved, because he is supposed to be setting an example. After all, the point of education is that it simulates reality in a career, and plaigarism is unacceptable. "In forums since, including Poynter Online and the Missourian, professional ethicists, practicing journalists, former students and colleagues of Merrill, and Missouri faculty members have been divided over both the allegation of plagiarism and the punishment exacted."
Pulling quotes is a form of plaigarism that is unacceptable for faculty to disrespect.
After reading Merrill's defense, it is easy to see his point of view. It was simple carelessness, in revealing information that he felt was "public domain."
The last reading from Poynter is a very useful resource. At first glance, it looks like a mixture of different links, and appears confusing. But when I looked at it closer, I found that it was a great culmination of tips on researching candidates in an election. I found the wires to be especially important as compilations of issues provide for organization of different subjects. I also appreciate the "New Ideas in Coverage Section." I think that journalists try to ignore all bias in many ways, but I think that awareness of influential sites like moveon.org helps us to be more well-rounded.

No comments: