Sunday, October 28, 2007

08

I was listening to NPR today when I heard a discussion about Barack Obama's wardrobe choice. I have also seen articles relating to the topic. Now, it has been made very clear in this blog how I feel about reports on things such as wardrobe and relationships. This one sparked my interest, however. Barack Obama had attended an event of some sort for the media and one of the members of the press made a comment that he was not wearing an American flag on his lapel. When questioned, he responded that he felt like people had been wearing the flag as a semantic measure, and did not seem to understand the patriotism behind it, and thus he chose not to wear it. He says that his words and actions should be "a testiment" to his patriotism, and that there shouldn't be a physical representation of this. Of course, Republicans have jumped all over the comment, ready to call him every horrible name in the book.
Personally, I admire Barack Obama for speaking out against the callousness that Americans have kept up for so long. It is a reminder that just because you wear an American flag, it doesn't make you a proud American. Actions speak louder than words. Good for him.
Now, I do not claim that this wasn't a stupid maneuver on Obama's part in terms of getting elected. But hey, maybe there are teens out there like me who say, show me your policy, and not your fashion choice. What kind of reporter asks a question like that anyway?

No comments: